Sunday, July 18, 2010

Savannah

This week flew by, which I am grateful for mostly because it's one more week closer to us leaving for home! I think it was because it was a pretty crazy week in that Cam was with us a lot, but gone a lot, too. For example, he worked 22 hours on Monday and 15 yesterday, but then took Thurs and Fri off. To make sure I don't get in trouble with my family and friends up in ATL, I want to make sure it's known that we didn't decide to go up to Savannah until about 8 hours before we left. Cam and I are pretty sporadic I guess, and I have always wanted to go there. Plus we feel like we need to go and do something when he is off work, especially if it's two days in a row! So we woke up early Thursday morning, packed up the car, and took off. It was about a 7 hour drive, and the kids did awesome! We found a hotel when we got there, dropped our stuff off, and started out to explore. Hudson was being pretty naughty at this point from lack of sleep, so we just took a quick stroll down to the river and walked around. When we couldn't stand Hudson's whining or the heat anymore, we decided to go back to the hotel and let he and Cam cool off in the pool. We had a good dinner at a local place, but it took forever! The kids were better than I expected, but we were all done by the time we got back to our hotel. We learned the hard way that Hudson does not sleep well outside of his crib, so we all had a pretty sleepless night. This changed our plans a bit for the next day, since we were headed back and knew we were all exhausted. We drove out to see Tybee Island where we toured the lighthouse and put our feet in the water for a minute so we could say we've been to the Atlantic Ocean. We then got back in the car, picked up some lunch, and drove home. Whew! Fast trip, but so worth it!

Cam and Hudson in front of the river.

HUGE barge going through the river. This was pretty cool to watch so close!

I loved all of the character and old charm of Savannah. It's such a quaint town. Cam and I could have walked down the beautiful tree lined streets looking at the different houses all day. Here are just some random pics so you can kinda see what it looks like.



One of the many historical squares.



This is a pic of the ground. There were streets and sidewalks everywhere still made from the original brick/cobblestone. My stroller will probably never be the same! :)


Here's the lighthouse in Tybee. We climbed up almost 400 stairs to see the view from the top. Cam had to carry Hudson, and I carried the baby. We definitely got a workout!

The view was worth the climb!

Cam and Hudson at the top

Tybee was fun, but man our beaches here in FL are so much prettier! We didn't realize how spoiled we've gotten. Another ocean marked off on the places we've been.

12 comments:

Liana Brown said...

WHAT A FUN TRIP!!! I am so jealous of all these fun places you guys are exploring! Glad the kids were good... even though you didnt get much sleep!! Quick , last minute trips can be the most fun! I am getting excited to see you!!! Love ya!

The Girl said...

I'm glad you all got to get away! Kennady's swim suit is super cut!

The Girl said...

Um...I mean super cute :)

Cam and Mary said...

It's just a little romper Ash, but thanks. :)

Lindsey said...

I have always wanted to go to Savannah! Derrick was stationed there for a while when he was still active duty and has talked about Tybee Island and wanted to take me there since we met! Looks like fun! I'm glad you got to go!

The Shirley Family said...

Yeah, I am glad you guys were able to go and do something fun together. I am sure you loved having Cam home for two days. Great pics, I can't wait to actually be able to see you guys in person.

Boonie and Jenn said...

Oh fun! I'm glad you got to get out and do something as a family! I am counting down...I can't wait to see you!!!

Marc and Letty said...

The trip, where you don't have much plan, it is the best...Looks like you guys have a lot of fun

Crazy Me said...

SO fun! You guys look like you had quite the adventure. I wish we could go explores somewhere cool !! Lucky!

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

Yay we LOVE Savannah!!! Our friends parents live there, so when we lived in Augusta we spent some time down there. We loved going to the beach, fishing and watching the dolphins swim around and under our kayak. :)

Glad that you guys had a fun family vacation. I know what you mean by the sleepless nights in hotels. It seems like nobody gets a good night sleep when you are all sleeping in the same room. Every little noise is magnified.

Carolina girl said...

Hooray for road trips! Looks like fun! I love the lighthouse picture. :)

Tina said...

I'm so glad you guys went! I have always wanted to go to Savannah. Maybe we'll have to just decide last minute one day to go like you guys. Sometimes you have to grab the adventures while you can.